The International School of Nagano (ISN) offers excellent opportunities for professions in education. Our staff members are not only child-loving educators who dedicate significant time and effort for children but they also enjoy using their talents in IT, music, outdoor activities, sport and travelling. Our school community is also fortunate to have a wonderful parent group who enjoy supporting ISN staff. Furthermore ISN has an excellent reputation for the quality of its unique student-centered education curriculum. In addition, the outstanding natural environment of the Nagano Prefecture enhances ISN’s inquiry based learning. Our inclusive education programme creates a family environment for our school community where everyone is cared for and valued. We grow together.
English Teacher Position A and B
Desired Culture/Our Promise
- Treat everyone as gifted and talented individuals and foster those talents and gifts through careful mentorship and guidance that is based on respect for all
- Provide an environment that allows these talents to ﬂourish; one that is innovative, progressive and grounded in trust, compassion and respect
- To teach the classes assigned by the administration and/or Head of the School.
- To undertake other duties assigned by the administration and/or Head of the School.
- To be informed about the aims and curriculum of the area in which he/she teaches.
- In the light of these aims and curricula, to select the lesson content and activities which are appropriate to the needs of each student in his/her class(es), in relation to the school’s philosophy and objectives.
Main job description
|A. 8:00-17:00||B. 10:00-19:00|
Duties of position A. 8:00-16:00 or B. 10:00-19:00
- Common duties – Teachers should arrive sufficiently early to ‘begin’ working in the office or teaching at the prescribed starting time and cleans and tidies up the classroom before s/he leaves. We are open from Monday to Friday. The regular tasks and duties are to support homeroom teachers and/or administration staff members. The teacher is responsible for submitting the weekly plan for each class before the teachers meeting every week. For the young learners, activities includes games, playing with toys and friends, reading, music, sports, plays, individual, small group large group works and lots of other activities.
- Duties for 10:00-19:00 – The after school program starts at 4 pm by greeting children who are arriving for the ISN afterschool program and ends at 7pm. The program follows The Project (http://isnedu.org/en/program/afterschool).
The start date of the position
is *November 12, 2018. 2 years renewable contract.The recruited teacher should arrive in Matsumoto about 10-15 days before the day so s/he’ll have some rest, time to settle down and could attend our 5-days school training (6 hours and 1 hour break, paid 5,000 yen per day). The school can help you to prepare for your accommodation. *the day might be changed
The Teacher will develop and maintain effective working relationships with:
- Head of School/ ISN PYP Coordinator / Local and International PYP Coordinator Networks / School leadership team / School teachers / Administration staff / Parents and learners
Personal Specification – Qualifications and Training
- A degree plus Teaching Qualification (or equivalent) in a relevant area
- Experience in teaching young learners with diverse needs
- Experience of teaching the PYP (preferred minimum of 2 years)
- Experience in an international school environment (preferred)
- Experience and knowledge of curriculum design and development
Knowledge and Understanding
- Deep knowledge and understanding of the PYP (preferred)
- Practical and theoretical understanding of effective teaching and learning strategies for young learners
- Relevant preschool curriculum knowledge
- A demonstrated and genuine liking and appreciation of children / Inclusive / Flexible and adaptable / Resilient / Sense of humour / High standards and expectations / Motivated
We are looking for someone who can:
- Establish and maintain good relationships with children, parents, staff members, learners and parents/ Collaborate/ Communicate effectively orally and in writing/ Deal effectively and non confrontationally with learners and staff/ Positively influence others / Listen actively /Motivate and engage with colleagues
1-2-2 Minami-Matsumoto, Matsumoto-shi, Nagano 390-0832
7779-1 Shimauchi, Matsumoto-shi, Nagano 390-0851
For general inquiries or to reservea school visit please click "Campus Visits"(above). We also accept iquiries by e-mail or phone. Please feel free to contact us.
(International) Minami-Matsumoto Campus：+81 263-87-5971 ／ Shimauchi Campus： +81 263-88-6562
(National) Minami-Matsumoto Campus： 0263-87-5971／ Shimauchi Campus：0263-88-6562
Office hours : 8:00 - 16:00 (weekdays)